Leather is one of the oldest materials humans have used in clothing with animals and household items.
Dogily is using oiled vegetable tanned leather which is a side product of food industry. This is leather that no animals are killed for. We try to use domestic leather if possible to keep the footprint as tiny as possible. Please be noted that any scarring in our leather is normal because the hides are not from cage animals.
Vegetable tan uses natural materials in the tanning process. This results leather to be soft and age nicely when used. At the same time vegetable tan does not cause such strong allergic reactions as a chrome leather might. Chrome tan is used in car industry, upholstery, clothing, accessories, handbags etc that need to be durable to scratches and is not in direct contact with skin.
Leather we use is positive leather using cycle because the food industry does not use it and other ways the same hides would just end up rotting in landfill. We respect the animals of food industry to not let it go to waste. Meat consumption is growing every year which means more hides are taken to landfill or being treated for other industries to use them. At the same time tanneries create jobs and help grow local economy. Almost 100% of hides that are taken to tanneries in Europe come from food industry. The more people’s wealth grows the more they eat meat and that is how the cycle goes. If these hides are not taken to tanneries, it will simply go to waste in landfill and end up rotting.
By using European hides and leather we can control that the industry complies to standards set by EU and that tanneries will not have their tanning waste substances straight back to pollute the nature. Today the EU regulations are so strict that all the tanning industry is much cleaner and eco friendlier than whatever fake fur or fake leather production. We are very happy that meat industry regulations also move towards respecting the animals and they are treated humanely.
We do not support fur industry, so rest assured. The reason is that fur animals are grown only for their hides and not for anything else. Animal activists usually mix those two and treat both leather industries with the same hostility. That is not necessary- we love and respect animals!
Care for vegetable tan leather:
- YES – oil and care with leather conditioners. Do not use shoe polish!
- YES – clean regularly with leather cleaner and brush
- YES – use with dry weather
- YES – leather will stretch, this is normal
- YES – when the product is damp or even wet- set it into well ventilated place to dry up and then condition it thoroughly
- NO – do not use when raining or going swimming
- NO – do not use with other than pets
- NO – these are not for punishing! Treat your pet with love and respect
- NO – do not allow your pet to chew the products up. This product is all natural leather and your pet will finish it off fast